Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] log: add log.firstparent option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:46:33 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> But other projects prefer to keep the messy history intact.
> For one thing, it makes collaboration on a topic easier, as
> developers can simply pull from each other during the messy
> development. And two, that history may later be useful when
> tracking down a bug, because it gives more insight into the
> actual thought process of the developer.
>
> But in this latter case you want _two_ views of history. You
> may want to see the "simple" version in which a series of
> fully-formed topics hit the branch (and you would like to
> see the diff of their final form). Or you may want to see
> the messy details, because you are digging into a bug
> related to the topic.

While I can see the reasoning behind the above [*1*], I am not sure
if the output with "--first-parent" would always be a good match for
the "simple" version.  Wouldn't the people who keep these messy
histories also those who merge project trunk into a random topic and
push the result back as the updated project trunk?  Admittedly, that
merely is saying that "--first-parent" is not a solution to such a
project, and does not say much about the usefulness of the new
configuration, so I'd queue it as-is.

[Footnote]

*1* I do not necessarily agree, though.  The history being messy is
    a sign that "the actual thought process of the developer" was
    not clearly expressed in the work, and it is not likely that you
    have more insight by looking at it---you will see more mess, for
    certain, though.