Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-checkout.txt: Document "git checkout <pathspec>" better

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:23:19 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> My v3 will probably use the original line:
>> git-checkout - Checkout a branch or paths to the working tree
>
> I think mentionning "Switch branch" was a real improvement. For someone
> not familiar with the version control vocabulary, "checkout" does not
> mean much (just looked in a dictionary, it talks about payment and
> leaving a room in a hotel ...). And someone not understanding what
> "checkout" means in this context won't be helped much reading the
> description and getting "checkout" there.

Or, borrow a book from a library, which I think is the closest
analogy for this operation.  But you are right.  It is suboptimal to
explain "checkout" in terms of "checkout" ;-).

> But as you say, it copies into the workspace, so "copy a previous
> version into the workspace" sounds good to me.

I am afraid that "previous" would lead to "Ah, you mean HEAD~1?"
confusion.  In any case, you cannot copy what hasn't yet been
created, "previous" is superfluous.

I think "restore" also by definition has to go back to _some_
existing version, not a future yet-to-be-created one, so "restore to
some previous state" is superfluous; in that sense, I find that
"restore working tree files" may still be the one that makes most
sense, at least to me, among the phrases floated in this thread so
far.

> Basically, I'm fine with anything starting with "Switch branches or",
> but please do change the headline ;-).

Likewise; I agree "switch branches or" part is good.