Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/1] send-email: Add sendmail email aliases format

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 09:32:23 -0700

Allen Hubbe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looking closer at this and the other test cases, they are inconsistent
> about using ".mailrc", "~/.mailrc", and "$(pwd)/.mailrc".  This would
> add another one, "$HOME/.mailrc".

In t9001, I see two tests on mailrc:

 * Create .mailrc in the current directory and point at it from the
   configuration file sendemail.aliasfile with $(pwd)/.mailrc

   This one is correct in that test wants to make sure an absolute
   path is usable as the value; the creation in the current
   directory (hence >.mailrc) is a mere implementation detail that
   the file it wants to use can be created by pathname relative to
   the current directory when "echo" is run.

 * Create ~/.mailrc, relying on tilde expansion of the shell when
   "echo" is run, and then point at it from the configuration file
   as "~/.mailrc".

   The former, i.e. "echo ... >~/.mailrc" should instead redirect
   into >$HOME/.mailrc in order to support shells that do not
   understand tilde expansion.  However, the latter is correct, as
   this test wants to make sure that whoever reads the configuration
   interprets ~/.mailrc as "file .mailrc in the home directory",
   without help from the shell.

Specifically, the difference between these two tests is not
inconcistency; they are covering two different use patterns.

So I do not see any reason to change most of these; except that the
target of 'echo' should be changed from ~/.mailrc to $HOME/.mailrc.

Thanks.