Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/log: clarify what --raw means

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 10:44:46 -0700

Ed Avis <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks, I think that is a bit clearer.
>
> You might also need to clarify the part about --format=raw where it says
> 'SHA-1s are displayed in full, regardless of whether --abbrev or --no-abbrev'.

This part of the description being "--format" option, the "SHA-1s"
the description refers to are the ones that appear in the commit
object itself, something like:

    tree 2b5bfdf7798569e0b59b16eb9602d5fa572d6038
    author Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> 1112911993 -0700
    committer Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> 1112911993 -0700

    Initial revision of "git", the information manager from hell

And the commit object itself does not have any "diff", as you are
not comparing anything with any other thing.  It is about recording
one single state in time.

I think that is what the reader needs to be made aware of, and the
current documentation is not doing a good job at it.