Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/12] t7406: use "git pull" instead of "git pull --rebase"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 13:15:40 -0700

Paul Tan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Paul Tan <[email-masked]> writes:
>> If 'git pull' gets broken, it will break this test _anyway_.
>
> You have a point, perhaps this should be changed to git-fetch + git-merge?
>
> Well my reasoning is that it's because git-pull --rebase requires more
> code to be implemented than git-pull. So I'm thinking that git-pull
> --rebase is more likely to break than git-pull.
>
>> Unless
>> the operating assumption is "it is OK to break 'git pull --rebase',
>> as long as we do not break 'git pull', while rewriting it", I am not
>> sure the value of the change in this patch.  We'd need to keep both
>> form working, no?
>
> Yes, ultimately the git-pull rewrite must re-implement everything, but
> if this test suite is affected by any git-pull (--rebase) breakage,
> then there will be lots of patch noise as this test suite's tests get
> disabled/re-enabled in the git-pull rewrite patches.
>
> But if the patch noise is okay, then I'm fine with dropping this patch
> and 07/12.

I am not sure what you mean by "patch noise".

I do not think touching this test which does not have anything to do
with "git pull" in your series is sensible at all, and you shouldn't
flip test_expect_success temporarily to _expect_failure, if that is
what you have in mind.

Just don't run unrelated tests while your series is in flux.