Subject: Re: Interested in helping open source friends on HP-UX?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:47:16 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 06:46:04PM +0100, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>
>> Well, how can we help if we don't even know the limitations of that
>> platform?
>
> I'm not sure, but I think the original call for help may have been "I
> will give you shell access to these boxes if you want to play around".

Yeah, that probably was my bad---I didn't make it clear enough that the
request for volunteer from H.Merijn was exactly that.

> It seems like we could use
>
>   (cd src && tar cf - .) | (cd dst && tar xf -)
>
> here as a more portable alternative. I don't think we can rely on rsync
> being everywhere.

Thanks; I wasn't even aware that we used rsync in our tests.  We
certainly do not want to rely on it.

Why not "cp -r src dst", though?