Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] .mailmap: Add Stefan Bellers corporate mail address

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:53:33 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
>
> Note that despite the private address being first, Google owns the
> copyright on this patch as any other patch I'll be sending signed off
> by the [email-masked] address.

While Googlers are encouraged to interact with external open source
projects using their corp address when working as new contributors,
Googlers are also encouraged to keep using the same pre-corp address
when working with projects they have been part of for continuity.

After all, even if you send patches from your @gmail.com address
while being employed by Google, the patches are copyright Google,
not yours, and DCO (a) "I have the right to submit" covers your
submissions just fine (i.e. it does not say "I own the copyright"),
as long as you are cleared to contribute your patches to us by
Google's open source office (which I happen to know that you have
already done).

The mailmap is primarily to correct past mistakes and document the
new addresses of those who lost the old address to maintain their
reachability.  It is not about planning to send patches from two
different addresses chosen by the phase of the moon or something.

I do not terribly mind, but is this patch really necessary?

>
> Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  .mailmap | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>
> diff --git a/.mailmap b/.mailmap
> index 8aefb5a..bb6f52e 100644
> --- a/.mailmap
> +++ b/.mailmap
> @@ -205,6 +205,7 @@ Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]>
>  Simon Hausmann <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>  Simon Hausmann <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>  Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> +Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>  Stefan Naewe <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>  Stefan Naewe <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>  Stefan Sperling <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>