Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/3] dir.c: coding style fix

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:10:14 -0700

Karsten Blees <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 15.07.2014 00:30, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>> Karsten Blees <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> From: =?UTF-8?q?Nguy=E1=BB=85n=20Th=C3=A1i=20Ng=E1=BB=8Dc=20Duy?=
>>>  <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
>>> Signed-off-by: Karsten Blees <[email-masked]>
>>> ---
>> 
>> Thanks for forwarding.   I'll fix-up the Yikes (see how these two
>> lines show the same name in a very different way), but how did you
>> produce the above?  Is there some fix we need in the toolchain that
>> produces patch e-mails?
>> 
>
> Hmmm...I simply thought that this is how its supposed to work. Mail
> headers can only contain US-ASCII, so the RFC 2047 Q-encoded-word
> generated by git-format-patch looked good to me.

But that quoted one is *NOT* a mail header.  It is the first line of
the payload of your message, and should be in plain text just like
the remainder, e.g. S-o-b line that has the same name.

> Perhaps it should be clarified that git-format-patch output is not
> suitable for pasting into mail clients? Or it should print headers
> in plain text and let git-send-email handle the conversions?

If the former is missing, then we should definitely add it to the
documentation.  We often see new people pasting the "From " line
meant for /etc/magic and unwanted {From,Subject,Date}: in the body.

We may also want to add an option to tell it to produce an output
that is suitable for pasting into mail clients.  Hint, hint...