Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] mergetool: run prompt only if guessed tool

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:52:09 -0700

David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...
>> Thanks for CC'ing Charles, by the way.  I think his point about
>> mentioning the change of default somewhere in the documentation
>> has some merits, and it can be done in a follow-up patch on top.
>
> Another thing that crossed my mind is that we have -y for --no-prompt
> because --prompt was the original default. Maybe a -i (?) shortcut for
> the interactive --prompt can be added to make the "need to skip some
> when resolving" use case easier to activate.

Hmm, perhaps, but is "do we prompt to give a chance to the user to
say 'no, I am not interested in running the tool to that path'" the
only interactivity in the overall end-user experience in using the
mergetool?  To end-users, both interaction with the mergetool
front-end and interaction with individual back-end taken together
would comprise the whole end-user experience, so "--interactive"
option that is implied by "-i" short-cut may make them expect a
behaviour from the backend that is more interactive than without,
which would not be the case, so....