Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 13:10:18 -0700

Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not much has changed, just applied the suggestions Kristoffer made.
> Thank you again for the review
>
> [1/8] pretty.c: better die message %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
> [2/8] format-patch: refactor generate_commit_list_cover (Mirko Faina)
> [3/8] format-patch: rename --cover-letter-format option (Mirko Faina)
> [4/8] docs/pretty-formats: add %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
> [5/8] format.commitListFormat: strip meaning from empty (Mirko Faina)
> [6/8] format-patch: wrap generate_commit_list_cover() (Mirko Faina)
> [7/8] format-patch: add preset for --commit-list-format (Mirko Faina)
> [8/8] format-patch: --commit-list-format without prefix (Mirko Faina)
>
>  Documentation/config/format.adoc    |  2 +-
>  Documentation/git-format-patch.adoc | 19 ++++----
>  Documentation/pretty-formats.adoc   |  4 ++
>  builtin/log.c                       | 35 +++++++-------
>  pretty.c                            |  4 +-
>  t/t4014-format-patch.sh             | 72 +++++++++++++++++++----------
>  t/t9902-completion.sh               |  1 -
>  7 files changed, 84 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)

All incremental changes look reasonable to me, and it seems we have
already reached the point of diminishing returns?

It is possible that people are only commenting on low-hanging
obvious typoes and mistakes without seeing a bigger picture,
but I think I've read through an earlier iteration of the series,
and found it more-or-less solid, and I do not think there was a
drastic change of course since then, so I am happy to mark the topic
for 'next' now.

Unless other people find bigger issues remaining in the series, that
is, of course ;-)

Thanks.