Subject: Re: Feature request: support listing worktrees sorted by creation time

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2026 07:50:54 -0800

Norbert Kiesel <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have multiple repos with more than 20 worktrees, and sometimes
> forget the name of a recently added worktree. Therefore it would
> really be nice if I could use something like ‘git worktree list
> —created’ to list them by their creation timestamp. Is that something
> that makes sense to you as well? I could also create a pull request
> for this if you would like it.

I do not think we have any _record_ of when each of these worktrees
was created, so this is not a realistic request.

The output from "git worktree list" may be more than 20 lines, but
isn't your terminal taller than 20 lines ;-)?

Since very early days of Git, we have created .git/description file
that is not used very much (I think it is shown in gitweb).  Perhaps
worktree should have an equivalent in per-worktree part of their
.git/ directory and "git worktree list --verbose" can use its
contents in addition to the additional pieces information it already
shows, or something like that, perhaps?