Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: add information regarding external commands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2026 14:56:18 -0800

"Omri Sarig via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Omri Sarig <[email-masked]>
>
> Git supports running external commands in the user's PATH as if they
> were built-in commands (see execv_dashed_external in git.c).

Correct.

> This feature was not documented in any of Git's user-facing
> documentation.

"Not documented in any" is a slight exaggeration.  See "git help
git" and look at description of "--list-cmds" option; "all commands
in $PATH that have git- prefix" is mentioned there.  Also "git help
help" talks about "--no-external-commands" that excludes "git-*"
commands found on $PATH from the listing, which implies these things
count as available commands.

Nevertheless, it is a good idea to make it more discoverable.

> This commit adds a short documentation of this feature, making it easier
> for users to discover and use.

I would have expected that under Environment Variables > System,
next to HOME, we would add an entry for PATH that says something
like:

    When a user runs 'git <command>' that is not part of the core
    Git programs (installed in GIT_EXEC_PATH), 'git-<command>' that
    is runnable by the user in a directory on `$PATH` is invoked.

or something like that; I didn't expect us to add a dedicated
separate section for it.

Thanks.