Subject: Re: [PATCH] blame: fix coloring for repeated suspects

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2026 09:56:28 -0800

René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:

>> While this should work, I am kind of surprised that this has to done
>> as a sepecial case.  It often happens that two adjacent blocks may
>> be originally pass their blames to different parents of a merge, but
>> then the blame passes down through both branches down to the same
>> ancestor, at which point these two blocks need to be merged back
>> into the same source again, and I was hoping that a helper function
>> for it would be called to take care of this case as well.
>
> Do you mean blame_coalesce()?  It is called, but won't merge entries
> that are not ignored with those that are.  And we do need to keep them
> separate for blame.markignoredlines to work.

Yes, and sigh.  I know "ignore these commits" came much later than
the main part of blame, and I am not surprised if the way it was
bolted on was not designed to mesh well with existing framework like
the blame_coalesce() helper and what it tried to achieve.

Anyway, thanks for a fix.  Will queue.