Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci(*-leaks): skip the git-svn tests to save time

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2026 09:46:02 -0800

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... If "git svn" was 
> implemented in C then we probably would want to check it for leaks even 
> though it called a foreign program. That's a long winded way of saying I 
> don't have any better suggestions!

I am not sure if I agree.  If Perl interpreter used to run the Perl
version of "git svn" were found leaky, are we willing to go in and
plug leaks there?  Not likely, particularly since it is not what we
ship and we do not have control over which version of Perl the users
have on their systems.  So we say "Perl is foreign and we are not
equipped to plug leaks in various versions of it on users' systems,
so it is not worth spending cycles to test for leaks in it".

If "git svn" were in C, linked with libsvn without using the perl
binding, and libsvn were found leaky, the story is the same.  We do
not control the version of libsvn the users have on their systems,
we are not equipped to plug leaks in there, so it is not our job to
spend cycles to test for leaks in it.