Subject: Re: Another look?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2026 10:16:26 +0900

Harald Nordgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry, here's what the code block will look like:
>
> ```
> 	} else if (abf == AHEAD_BEHIND_QUICK) {
> 		strbuf_addf(sb,
> 			    _("Your branch and '%s' refer to different commits.\n"),
> 			    branch_name);
> 		if (advice_enabled(ADVICE_STATUS_HINTS))
> 			strbuf_addf(sb, _("  (use \"%s\" for details)\n"),
> 				    "git status --ahead-behind");
> 	} else if (!theirs && !ours) {
> 		strbuf_addf(sb,
> 			_("Your branch is up to date with '%s'.\n"),
> 			branch_name);
> ```

I did not check what comes before or after this block, but the above
looks like a reversed ordering.  If you have "the branches are the
same" check first, it would make more sense, as after ruling out
that case, QUICK can short-cut comparison and asy "they are
different", and presumably after these two else/if arms, you'd have
cases for "theirs && !ours -> they are ahead of us", "!theirs &&
ours -> we are ahead of them", and "theirs && ours -> we diverged"
to handle.