Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] ci: don't compile whole project when testing docs with Meson

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2025 09:24:41 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I meant the Meson option `-Ddocs=man,html`. I feel it's more natural
> there if the accompanying target is also called "docs" there.

Ahh.  OK, so if I said "meson -Ddocs=" to choose neither format,
that would essentially be the same as "do build the binaries but not
the docs"?

I guess that is from the very beginning 904339ed (Introduce support
for the Meson build system, 2024-12-06) that get_option('docs') is
part of the build system, so it *is* way too late to fix it now.

> Another option is that we could also just have both. In that case users
> of the Makefile could continue to use the "doc" target with Meson, as
> they are used to. And users that are used to Meson can use the "docs"
> target.

Meaning you'd allow one to be an alias for the other?  I am not sure
if it is worth it for something small like this.  Let's leave things
as they are.

Thanks.