Subject: Re: [RFE] Add JSON output to git log commands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2025 15:54:22 -0700

Ron Ziroby Romero <[email-masked]> writes:

> ## Design outline
>
> * Add a `PRETTY_JSON` constant.
> * Create a pretty-json.c file to output JSON log information
> * Modify pretty.c to call pretty-json to output JSON when the flag is set.
> * Use existing utility functions written in the existing source to
> output the JSON.

Is this limited to only giving another serialization format to what
is in `git cat-file commit` output for sequence of commits, which is
what I see in the example below?

Within that limited scope, I am curious what your plan is to deal
with header elements like "encoding", "gpgsig", "mergetag", etc.

And outside that scope, I am not sure what the most useful output
would be for things outside what is in each of the commit object.
E.g., various "diff" output, e.g. --stat, -p, --name-status...

Leaving that outside the scope would be a very clean way out to
avoid confusing design issues ;-)