Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2025, #02; Mon, 7)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 08:30:31 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 10.07.25 um 06:25 schrieb Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón:
>> In d28250654f (Windows: Fix signal numbers, 2009-01-22), the value for
>> SIGCHLD was changed from 0 to 17 mentioning some sort of POSIX system.
>> 
>> the relevance comes that if I build a program in Windows that calls
>> `signal(SIGCHLD)` using that number I get an error back, but nothing
>> on errno, but if the number would be instead 20, like in Cygwin/macOS
>> suddenly the behaviour changes and we get the expected EINVAL(20) in errno.
>
>> So do you have any objection on changing the value (which should be otherwise
>> unused, and irrelevanted as you pointed out) to 20 then?
>
> I do not object to change the number. Nevertheless, I would like to
> understand why it makes a difference.

Yeah, whoever writes the commit that changes the value needs to
explain why the change matters, and where the differences come from
in the proposed log message.

Thanks, all.