Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/10] contrib: remove "remotes2config.sh"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 12:52:39 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Remotes can be configured either via a repository's config or by using
> the ".git/branches/" or ".git/remotes/" directories. Back when the new
> config-based mechanism has been introduced we also introduced a helper
> script that migrates from the old-style remote configuration to the new
> config-based mechanism.
>
> With the recent removal announcement for the two directories we also
> started to instruct users to migrate repositories that still use these
> mechanism to use config-based remotes. Notably though, the migration
> path doesn't even use the migration script. Instead, git-remote(1)
> itself knows how to migrate any such remote via `git remote rename`.

Makes sense.

This logically comes after your series, which ended at 8ccc75c2
(remote: announce removal of "branches/" and "remotes/",
2025-01-22), lands.  After that, we can safely remove this script at
the 3.0 boundary, at the same time we clean up the code paths that
are conditionally compiled with WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES.

> Furthermore, the script hasn't been touched since afa75bc8aa1 (contrib:
> Make remotes2config.sh script more robust, 2007-12-02).

A single-purpose thing that is done correctly on top of a right
abstraction does not necessarily need further updates, so I doubt
this paragraph contributes to the decision to remove the script in
any way.

> Given that there is a migration path without this script it is very
> unlikely that anyone still uses the script. Remove it.

Sounds good, but not right now, I presume?