Subject: Re: 'seen' branch identifies as v2.48.0

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 17:49:59 -0800

Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]> writes:

>   $ cat GIT-VERSION
>   v2.48.0
>   $ 

This came from semantic mismerge with Patrick's latest round of
build updates.  Usually I try to review very critically parts of a
series that can negatively affect those users who do *not* use a new
feature each topic tries to add or improve, and it means for this
topic, if it breaks builds that do not involve meson, it would
automatically qualify the topic to be ejected from the tree (side
note: if a breakage is for those who use meson, as long as it is not
as grave as running an equivalent of "sudo rm -fr /", I'll let it
through), but this time because there was no textual conflict, the
hardcoded GIT-VERSION unfortunately went through.

I however somehow thought that those who are building from a
repository should get "git describe" name instead of the hardcoded
fallback name in GIT-VERSION.  At least, it is my understanding that
is the intent of that series.  Or are you building from a tarball
extract?

> I normally like to find solutions before posting problems to the list, but
> unfortunately I don't have time to look into this at the moment. Sorry!
>
> Just a heads up.

I'd throw it back at Patrick, at least for tonight; the topic is
more or less hot off the press and it should not be surprising it it
needed immediate fix-up and reroll.

Thanks.