Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci(linux32): make Javascript Actions work in x86 mode

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 09:25:11 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2024 at 10:17:16AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Each of these approaches may have its pros and cons, but I somehow
>> do not see that the newly proposed alternative is 10x better than
>> what was reviewed and queued already to be worth the effort to
>> replace it.
>
> That's my feeling, too, but I'd reserve final judgement to see Dscho's
> response; it's possible I am under-estimating the 32/64-bit confusion
> risk.

FWIW, what you said matches my recollection from years ago ;-) back
when I had to deal with that.

> I'd also note that his patch does not require bumping the distro
> version, which would let us continue testing that old version in GitHub
> Actions. That might be worth considering.

Yes, that is true.

Considering that 16.04 has passed its expiration date for standard
support a few years ago, I am not sure how many more years of
practical/unsupported use and testing we would be getting by giving
cycles for the release in CI, though.

Thanks.