Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/10] reftable: fix reload with active iterators

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 08:11:00 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> But I don't think that's sufficient here, as the race happens while we
> are actually iterating. You'd really need some for_each_ref() callback
> that blocks in some externally controllable way. Possibly you could do
> something clever with partial-clone lazy fetches (where you stall the
> fetch and then do ref updates in the middle), but that is getting pretty
> convoluted.

;-)

> So I think the tests you included seem like a good place to stop.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment.

> I did have a little trouble applying this for testing. I wanted to do it
> on 'next', which has the maintenance changes to cause the race. But
> merging it there ended up with a lot of conflicts with other reftable
> topics (especially the tests). I was able to resolve them all, but you
> might be able to make Junio's life easier by coordinating the topics a
> bit.

I haven't tried merging the topic to 'next', jumping over other
topics in flight in 'seen'.  Thanks for a heads up, but I am hoping
that my rerere database is fairly complete for this topic by now.

Thanks.