Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] http: allow authenticating proactively

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 08:26:09 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2024-06-28 at 22:18:37, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Well, at least I couldn't read the proposed document update and read
>> that much out of it, and I suspect there may be other readers who
>> will share my confusion.  I think the source of the confusion is
>> that "don't request" does not automatically imply "allow the helper
>> to pick any scheme as it sees fit" if you do not know how helper is
>> designed to behave when it is not requested "any scheme".
>> 
>>     `basic` - Request Basic authentication from the helper.
>>     `auto`  - Ask the helper to pick an appropriate scheme.
>>     `none`  - Disable proactive authentication.
>> 
>> or something, perhaps?
>
> That sounds good.  I appreciate you providing some language that would
> be less confusing to you, because it will probably be less confusing to
> others as well.

Thanks.

Giving a possible alternative, when you are certain you understood
what you originally found confusing, is probably one of the things
we should add as a tip to ReviewingPatches document (do we have one
already--- #leftoverbits ?).