Subject: Re: [PATCH] MyFirstContribution: use switch for changing branches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 10:42:33 -0700

Benji Fisher <[email-masked]> writes:

> Use "git switch" instead of "git checkout" for changing branches.

... because?

In the proposed log message, make sure you are telling the readers
WHY the change was needed and desirable.

The usual way to compose a log message for this project is to

 - Give an observation on how the current system work in the present
   tense (so no need to say "Currently X is Y", just "X is Y"), and
   discuss what you perceive as a problem in it.

 - Propose a solution (optional---often, problem description
   trivially leads to an obvious solution in reader's minds).

 - Give commands to the codebase to "become like so".

in this order.

For this particular patch, I do not see a compelling reason why we
should make these changes.  It is not like MyFirst* documents
consistently uses "git switch" (and "git restore") in other places
and these three are the exceptions (in which case that would be a
very good justification you would describe in the "observation"
paragraph of your proposed log message).  We are not deprecating
"git checkout", either.

Thanks.