Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/5] commit-graph: fsck zero/non-zero generation number fixes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 12:28:49 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> This applies on top of yours, but probably would replace patches 2, 4,
> and 5 (the flip-flop case isn't even really worth testing after this,
> since the message can obviously only be shown once).
>
>  commit-graph.c          | 42 +++++++++--------------------------
>  t/t5318-commit-graph.sh | 18 ++-------------
>  2 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)

Quite an impressive amount of code reduction.  I obviously like it.

One very minor thing is that how much value are we getting by
reporting the object names of one example from each camp, instead of
just reporting a single bit "we have commits not counted and also
counted their generations, which is an anomaly".

Obviously it does not matter.  Even if we stopped doing so, the code
would not become much simpler.  We'd just use a word with two bits
instead of two pointers to existing in-core objects, which does not
have meaningful performance implications either way.

Thanks.