Subject: Re: Re* [PATCH v4] MyFirstContribution: refrain from self-iterating too much

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:25:19 -0700

Jacob Abel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe something along the lines of "wait 24 hours after any discussion
> regarding the current revision has settled before publishing the next
> revision" would be a good guideline even if it's not included in this 
> patch?

Perhaps.

Usually after an iteration or two of a topic, it will become clear
who are available and interested in the topic, and "Wait and give
them enough time to respond to what you write" would become the most
appropriate guideline at that point.

But for new contributors and for more experienced ones alike, the
interest level from others is much harder to assess for the first
iteration, until everybody on the list has chance to notice and get
interested in the topic.  So "wait at least for 24 hours after
posting the first iteration" would be a good guideline for those who
do not know who on the list are the likely candidates to be
interested and know how quick their responses usually have
historically been.

A mistake I have often seen by new folks is to send their v2 soon
after they get a single minor response to their v1, without saying
why they are sending v2 at the time (e.g. "I am only fixing the typo
that was pointed out").  It takes much shorter time to come up with
a response to point out a typo or two in the proposed log message
than giving a deeper analysis, which may only come after a few
iterations of such trivial changes.