Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/1] Unit tests for khash.h

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 15:26:18 +0900

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Siddharth,
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 05:51:41PM +0200, Siddharth Singh wrote:
>> This RFC patch adds unit tests for khash.h. It uses the C TAP harness
>> to illustrate the test cases [1]. This is not intended to be a
>> complete implementation. The purpose of this patch to get your
>> thoughts on the unit test content, not the test framework itself.
>
> Thanks for working on this, and for opening the discussion up. I took
> only a brief look through the actual changes. But I think the much more
> interesting discussion is on the approach, so I'll refrain from
> commenting on the tests themselves.
>
> I am somewhat skeptical of this as a productive direction, primarily
> because khash already has tests [1] that exercise its functionality. I'm
> not necessarily opposed to (light) testing of oid_set, oid_map, and
> oid_pos, which are khash structures, but declared by Git.

Yes, as a fairly isolated and supposedly well tested piece of code,
using khash as a guinea pig for the technology demonstration of C
TAP harness they propose to use would be an excellent choice, and I
found the request not to talk about the harness quite odd.  It felt
almost pointless.

The "main()" did illustrate a few things people found problematic
with the harness, among which having to declare plan(9) upfront.  An
obvious disregard of the coding guidelines did not help well,
either.  Overall, I am not impressed.

Thanks.