Subject: Re: [PATCH] unpack-trees: fix sparse directory recursion check

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 09:57:44 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could it also happen if we are going from a commit without that
> sparse directory and then to a commit with that sparse directory? I
> think that would be a more common case, but I was unable to
> manipulate the test repo in t1092 to trigger this bug in the existing
> test cases.
>
> This makes me think that this bug _is_ extremely rare, so we don't
> need to rush this into a 2.37.4 or anything. It would be good to
> bring it into 2.38.0-rc0, though.

When the "test" part of the patch is applied directly on top of the
vd/sparse-reset-checkout-fixes topic without its "fix" part, the
newly added test fails, and with the "fix" part applied, everything
goes peachy.  I think applying it on top of the topic as a fix to it
would be the most sensible.  Any motivated distro packager can grab
the topic and merge to their long-term maintenance track that way
more easily.

Thanks all.