Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] add -p: avoid ambiguous signed/unsigned comparison

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:10:19 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> The scope of this patch series is to fix running the tests in Visual
> Studio when building using CMake.

That's only the perspective of who cares about VS+CMake.  From my
point of view who wants a healthy Git overall, the priority is
different.  "add -p" fix is wider than the context of VS, and I do
not discount the need that we need to fix it before we can call
VS+CMake issue fixed (and I do not mean to say it is unnecessary to
fix VS+CMake).  It's just this one can proceed with help by those
who do not care about or have no environment to help with VS+CMake
because it is more generic, and I do not think you mind to make the
rest of the narrower VS+CMake topic _depend_ on it.

> Pulling out this patch would break that patch series because it would
> leave that breakage in place.

We deal with topic that depends on another topic all the time, and I
do not think there is anything that makes VS+CMake topic so special
that it cannot be dependent on another topic.  It's just the matter
of splitting this out and make it [1/1], and make the remainder to
[1-4/4] and mark them rely on add-p fix when you send the latter
out, isn't it?  Puzzled...

Thanks.