Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] Improved bash tab completion for 'git restore' - adds support for auto-completing filenames

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:27:48 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "David Cantrell via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This adds tab-completion of filenames to the bash completions for git
>> restore.
>>
>> David Cantrell (2):
>>   tab completion of filenames for 'git restore'
>>   if a file has been staged we don't want to list it
>
> Why two patches?  The second separate patch makes the topic look as
> if "oops, the first step designed a wrong behaviour and here is a
> brown paper bag fix-up".

Sorry, I forgot the obligatory clarification for new contributors.

This project gives all contributors a chance to pretend to be a
"perfect human".  When sending an updated patch (or patch series),
contributors are encouraged to hide^W correct their earlier mistakes
and present a perfect logical progression that they (would have, if
they were perfect) followed to arrive at a perfect end result.

So, instead of having step 1 that uses --committable without
justifying why it was chosen, and then change mind in step 2 to
replace it with --modified, have a single patch that uses
--modified, and explain in the proposed log message that
--committable and --modified may be possibilities, and why the patch
chose to use the latter.  The resulting history without a flip-flop
in the middle is easier to use by future developers to understand
the reasoning behind each change.

Thanks.