Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/10] fetch --recurse-submodules: fetch unpopulated submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 16:50:14 -0800

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

>   It's true that we don't need <.super_oid, .path> in order to init the
>   subrepo, but it turns out that recursive fetch reads some
>   configuration values from .gitmodules (via submodule_from_path()), so
>   we still need to store super_oid in order to read the correct
>   .gitmodules file.

OK, but then do we know which .gitmodules file is the "correct" one,
when there are more than one .super_oid?  Or do we assume that
.gitmodules does not change in the range of superproject commits we
have fetched before deciding what commits need to be fetched in the
submodules?

> == Since v4
> - Rename test helpers (s/check_/write_expected_)
> - Test style fixes
> - Update test comments
> - Remove the manual test_cmp in the test that checks sub2 (but we still
>   construct expect.err.super manually).

All of these changes looked sensible.

Will queue.  Thanks.