Subject: Re: [GSoC] [PATCH 1/1] t0001: replace "test [-d|-f]" with test_path_is_* functions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:49:22 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

>> -	if test -d "$1" && test -f "$1/config" && test -d "$1/refs"
>> +	if test_path_is_dir "$1" && test_path_is_file "$1/config" && test_path_is_dir "$1/refs"
>>  	then
>>  		: happy
>>  	else
>
> Looks very reasonable to me. Indeed, this line comes from 6adcca3fe8
> (Fix initialization of a bare repository, 2007-08-27) which predates
> 2caf20c52b (test-lib: user-friendly alternatives to test [-d|-f|-e],
> 2010-08-10) when these helpers were originally introduced.
>
> I thought that we could probably just shorten this to calling
> "test_path_is_file" twice: once for "$1/config" and a second time for
> "$1/refs", but that assumes "$1" is non-empty. And to ensure that you'd
> need another check, which amounts to the same amount of code overall.

I had the same thought.

Since the first "$GIT_DIR must be a directory" matters only when the
caller is crazy enough to have a bare repository at the root of the
filesystem and to think that it is a good idea to say "" is the
"$GIT_DIR" (in which case, "test -d ''" would fail, even though the
tests for /config and /refs are checking the right thing), I do not
see much downside from omitting the first one, but I think that is
something we need to do _outside_ the topic of this change, which is
purely "modernize, using the helpers we already have, without
changing what we do".