Subject: Re: RFE: Split diff.noprefix for git-diff and git-format-patch

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 09:20:45 -0800

Jan Engelhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> In interactive git-diff invocations, prefixless is the arguably desired mode,
> so as to facilitate xterm copy-and-paste of the pathname (since a/ does not
> exist, you would want to have it in the copypaste operation anywhere).
>
> I can see why git-format-patch would make use of the "diff.noprefix"
> config directive, but equally, it's a bug that diff.noprefix has such
> broad implications and that there is no way to distinguish between
> diff and format-patch.

I do not think it is unthinkable to have "log.*" configuration
variables that mirror "diff.*" configuration variables and have them
override the broader "diff.*" counterparts, and further add "format.*"
configuration variables to do the same as even narrower override.

I do not offhand recall hearing anybody who wanted format.noprefix
separately in the past, and I take it a sign that people are happy
with paths with prefix in their "interactive" invocations.  I of
course am among those, as that is most of the diff snippet I send to
the list are created when I say "how about doing it this way" in my
response and tell "\C-u \M-! git diff --stat -p" to Emacs to include
the output from the command to the message I am composing.