Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/4] git-submodule: remove unused is_zero_oid() function

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:28:11 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> The is_zero_oid() function in git-submodule.sh has not been used since
> e83e3333b57 (submodule: port submodule subcommand 'summary' from shell
> to C, 2020-08-13), so we can remove it.
>
> This was the last user of the sane_egrep() function in
> git-sh-setup.sh. I'm not removing it in case some out-of-tree user
> relied on it. Per the discussion that can be found upthread of [1].

I am OK with losing sane_egrep because it is not about a usefulness
we can give to our users based on our deep knowledge on how Git works;
it was rather based on our experience having to deal with silly choice
GNU grep made about coloring that made it unpleasant to use in scripts.
The users shouldn't have to depend on us for such a thing.

But I am OK either way---the whole topic is more or less "Meh" to
me.  It is hard to draw a line between a collection of pointless
churn and a generally useful clean-up, and I am having a hard time
deciding which side of the boundary this falls.