Subject: Re: [PATCH 8/9] pull: update docs & code for option compatibility with rebasing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:25:09 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +Note that `--ff-only` takes precedence over any `--rebase` flag.
>> > ++
>>
>> "`ff-only` overrides any `--rebase` flag"?
>
> Yeah, ignore that, I had already ripped it out after your comments on
> patch 1 yesterday.  I've also got more changes to the pull
> documentation to try to do more of what your sentence above says,
> "covering these interactions and whipping them into a much better
> shape."

OK.  After thinking about it further, "overrides" is not the word,
either, I guess.  It is more like that there are "merge", "rebase"
and "fast-forward-only" for the user to choose from, with "merge"
having two sub-variants (i.e. what happens when we do not have any
development of our own) and "rebase" with a few sub-variants
(i.e. interactive? shape-preserving?).

In any case, when the user says "I'll take nothing but fast-forward
update to their history", it is a bug if we did not fail when their
history is not a descendant of ours, and we have already fixed it in
an earlier part of the series.  This would be a good place to
clarify what the correct behaviour ought to be, if the existing
documentation is not already.

Thanks.