Subject: Re: Shell completion for branch names

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 12:52:26 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> I have a question regarding git-completion. I'm using zsh and have
> added the function .git-completion.bash. That gives me some
> auto-completion for branch names.
>
> What I'm looking for: I have a branch named
> "feature/issue-123-add-feature" for example. I'd like to type "git
> switch 123[tab]". Is there some function out there that provides
> this?

I am not an area expert for shell completion, but as a mere user,
unless the shell completion in a directory where I have README.txt
file, responds to

    $ cat EAD<TAB>

and completes the request to

    $ cat README.txt

I would find such a behaviour quite confusing.

On the other hand if

    $ git log feat<TAB>

expands to

    $ git log feature/issue-

then another <TAB> after that would offer 123-add-feature and 143-fix
as candidates, or instead of <TAB> if I type "123<TAB>" and get it
expanded to the full feature/issue-123-add-feature, then I wouldn't
find it confusing or unnatural.