Subject: Re: [PATCH] init: don't reset core.filemode on git-new-workdirs.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:50:46 -0700

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I do not think we want to go there.  filemode is not the only thing
>> that would be shared.  What do you want to do with core.eol=native,
>> for example?  Paths touched while switching branches get the 'native'
>> line endings on the system that the user happened to be on when the
>> "switch" command was run, and working tree files end up with mixture?
>
> I don't intend to solve all possible confusions caused by sharing all
> config variables - just this very one.

I intend to help users by drawing a clear red line and telling them
that crossing that line leads them to danger.

Sharing a working tree across systems that require different core.*
settings (filemode included) is on the other side of that line, and
that is the reason why I said I do not think we want to go there.
By saying "this is only about core.filemode but you can share a
working tree between incompatible systems", I am afraid that we end
up training users to go where they should not get nearby.