Subject: Re: [PATCH] Unicode: update of combining code points

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:30:05 -0700

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about this as a commit message:
>
> Unicode: partially update to version 6.3
>
> Unicode 6.3 defines the following code points as combining or accents,
> git_wcwidth() should return 0.
>
> Earlier unicode standards had defined these code point as "reserved":
> 358--35C
> 487
> 5A2, 5BA, 5C5, 5C7
> 604, 616--61A, 659--65F
>
> Note: for this commit only the range 0..7FF has been checked,
> more updates may be needed.
>
> Signed-off-by: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>

Thanks.

I do not think you meant to say that the listed codepoints above are
the only ones that were "reserved".  Rather, the codepoints listed
are what are affected by this hange, and these were all reserved.

Also it may help end-user visible effect like Jonathan asked in his
earlier message.  How about extending it like this?

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
utf8.c: partially update to version 6.3

Unicode 6.3 defines more code points as combining or accents.  For
example, the character "ö" could be expressed as an "o" followed by
U+0308 COMBINING DIARESIS (aka umlaut, double-dot-above).  We should
consider that such a sequence of two codepoints occupies one display
column for the alignment purposes, and for that, git_wcwidth()
should return 0 for them.  Affected codepoints are:

    U+0358..U+035C
    U+0487
    U+05A2, U+05BA, U+05C5, U+05C7
    U+0604, U+0616..U+061A, U+0659..U+065F

Earlier unicode standards had defined these as "reserved".

Only the range 0..U+07FF has been checked to see which codepoints
need to be marked as 0-width while preparing for this commit; more
updates may be needed.

Signed-off-by: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --