Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH 0/4] teach git repo info to handle path keys

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2026 08:05:33 +0900

K Jayatheerth <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> The first and second patches are self-explanatory, so I will
> focus more on the third and fourth patches, which introduce the
> path-related fields to `git repo info`.

I sense that a paragraph or two is missing before that.  The purpose
of your cover letter is to _sell_ your changes, explain what it is
about, and get your target audience interested enough to read the
patches.  The above goes totally backwards---your readers do not yet
know what the series is about, they haven't decided if it is worth
their time to read it, and you are telling "go read first two
yourself, I am not going to tell you what they are about"?

> In the last discussion [1] we had on the mailing list about paths
> in repo info, we didn't reach a definitive conclusion, but
> adding both options made the most sense based on the feedback.

And again, you are excluding those who were not in, or do not
remember, what was discussed in "the last discussion".