Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] docs: fix --commit-list-format related entries

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2026 13:45:15 -0700

Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ended up with something more verbose compared to what Junio proposed,
> but it might help the user to better understand why we check for the '%'
> in the first place.
>
> Same goes for the implied `--cover-letter`. Instead of rephrasing I
> added a note for the user to clear up any ambiguity.

I dunno.  

Being verbose is usually a good way to discourage readers from
reading.

Let's see if we can shorten them without losing information.

>  --commit-list-format=<format-spec>::
>  	Specify the format in which to generate the commit list of the patch
> +	series. The accepted values for format-spec are `shortlog`, `modern` or
> +	a format-string prefixed with `log:`. E.g. `log: %s (%an)`.
> +	Modern is the same as `log:[%(count)/%(total)] %s`.

"Modern" -> "`modern`".

This is necessary to stress the fact that this is a fixed token the
user must give verbatim.

> +	The user is allowed to drop the `log:` prefix if the format-string
> +	contains a '%' character. The '%' is expected as part of a placeholder
> +	but this is not validated by git.

    The `log:` prefix can be omitted if the format-string has a `%`
    in it (expecting that it is part of `%<placeholder>`).

> +	If not given, defaults to `shortlog` unless the
> +	`format.commitListFormat` configuration variable is set.

    Defaults to the `format.commitListFormat` configuration
    variable, if set, or `shortlog`.

> +	This option given from the command-line implies the use of
> +	`--cover-letter` unless `--no-cover-letter` is given. Note that
> +	`format.commitListFormat` being set does not imply the use of
> +	`--cover-letter`.

    The use of this command line option implies `--cover-letter`,
    unless explicitly countermanded with `--no-cover-letter`.