Subject: Re: [PATCH] .gitattributes: remove misspelled no-op whitespace attribute

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2025 14:02:25 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2025 at 10:41:20AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> We could either remove "!indent", or spell it "-indent".  The
>> immediate effect would be the same.  It would only start to make a
>> difference when/if we enable indent-with-non-tab by default in
>> future versions of Git.
>> 
>> Let's take the former option to remove "!indent" from the list.  We
>> would feel the effect first-hand ourselves before anybody else if we
>> ever decide to change the built-in default whitespace rules, which
>> would be hidden from us if we decide to rewrite it to "-indent"
>> instead.
>
> Perfectly explained, and the result makes sense.
>
> I don't know that this patch particularly needed review, but maybe it is
> nice for you to know that somebody really is out there reading them. ;)

It is mostly a principle thing.  I want to see that every non-merge
changes authored by me is treated just like patches authored by
others.

Another reason for me to send these patches out is so that I have a
copy of the patch on the lore archive, with message-ID, so that "git
log --notes=amlog" would work for my changes the same way as anybody
else's.