Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 02/15] xdiff: introduce rust

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 10:06:17 -0700

<[email-masked]> writes:

>>So my impression is that the main contention here is a concern that worsening the
>>portability will make it harder to push out security fixes in either direction. But I
>>don't think that's necessarily the case. Even if it is, I would again hope that the track
>>record of the folks on the git-security list would suggest that we'd do the right thing
>>and not abandon users on older platforms the moment Rust is introduced into the
>>codebase.
>
> This is indeed my concern and hope, Taylor, as the maintainer for a platform that is
> feeling abandoned. Please note that HPE NonStop is an actively maintained and
> vendor supported commercial platform based on x86_64 POSIX, just not a
> Linux/Windows machine.

Thanks for a friendly conversation, but I would have to say that
Taylor's "we know we end up having to support both, and we will do
so" is way underestimates the cost to do so.  And I hope that an
actively maintained and vendor supported commercial platform would
bear the burden of the major part of that cost themselves, when it
becomes necessary to do such a dual support.

Thanks.