Subject: Re: repository maintenance: git prints warning messages while cloning https://github.com/git/git.git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2025 08:31:09 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> You can safely ignore them, but if you want to quiet the noise you can
> put:
>
>   [fetch "fsck"]
>   badFileMode = ignore
>   missingTaggerEntry = ignore
>
> in your ~/.gitconfig file.

Very true for people who do not have much control in what objects
are added to the project, but for narrow audiences who hack on Git,
it is not advisable to use for in a repository where you are adding
new objects, using versions of Git you are experimenting with.  With
these configuration, problems in these two classes in your new
objects will also be ignored.

Listing names of these objects in a file and pointing it with the
fsck.skiplist configuration variable is more involved but exempts
the listed old-and-known-to-have-known-kind-of-funnies while
noticing if you add more bad objects.  If I am counting correctly,
we have only one bad tag, with 98 bad trees.

Curiously, "git ls-tree 10344b81045" (just picked a random tree
object from the list) does not show any bad modes, as the code
normalizes the mode bits while reading.  "git cat-file -t tree"
can of course show the badness on the same object.

$ git config --set fsck.skiplist .git/objects/info/fsck-skip
$ cat <<\EOF >.git/objects/info/fsck-skip
EOF