Subject: Re: Why merge conflict block is located at the wrong place?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 22:39:01 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2025-03-22 at 23:16:49, Eugen Konkov wrote:
>> Hello Git,
>
> Hi,
>
>> Why merge conflict block is located at the wrong place?
>
> I think it's a little hard for us to comment on why this happens without
> a reproducible testcase.  Do you perhaps have a public repository that
> you're working with that you can use to demonstrate this, or a shell
> script that shows the problem?

We do not necessarily need a full repository, though.

It is sufficient to make the contents of the three blob objects
involved in the merge (i.e. the version in the common ancestor, and
the versions in ours and in theirs) available in order to let
anybody reproduce the symptom with "git merge-file", and that would
give us a chance to check the same input with "merge" from the RCS
suite to see if the output in question is really unreasonable or if
the expectation is skewed.