Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] Various fixes for v2.45.1 and friends

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 16:56:44 -0700

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> This patch series is based on maint-2.39 to allow for (relatively) easy
> follow-up versions v2.39.5, ..., v2.45.2.
>
> Changes since v2:
>
>  * instead of introducing an escape hatch for the clone protections and
>    special-casing Git LFS, drop the clone protections

It is debatable if we are ripping out clone "protection" or a new
restriction on executing hooks before the end of clone that has
backfired. 

In any case, I just compared the result of applying these patches to
v2.39.4 with the result of reverting the following out of v2.39.4:

    584de0b4 (Add a helper function to compare file contents, 2024-03-30)
    8db1e874 (clone: prevent hooks from running during a clone, 2024-03-28)
    20f3588e (core.hooksPath: add some protection while cloning, 2024-03-30)

and the differences was exactly as I expected.  A Makefile fix and a
new test added to t1350 are the extra in the series, but otherwise
the patches are essentially reversion of these three steps.  Very
nicely done.

Thanks for a quick turnaround.  Will take further look.