Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] t9803: update commit messages and description

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:25:33 -0700

Sanchit Jindal <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have created another patch with a more descriptive commit message,
> and after squashing it with the earlier commit. I hope it is satisfactory

Hopefully.  What GGG sent with v2 label still was a 2-patch series,
whose [2/2] patch was an empty patch, though.

> I wanted to ask, Is it possible to send the patches created using
> `git format-patch` manually using gmail, Or the default headers
> applied by `send-email` required.

I do not know where you are using gmail from (I know that Android
version has no way to send text-only e-mail for example), but when
cutting and pasting the output from format-patch, you should make
sure

 * Remove "From <commit object name> Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001"
   marker line that signals the beginning of each patch message.  It
   is a mistake to leave this line in the body of your message.

 * Remove "Date: " header.  Do not leave this line in the body of
   your message.

 * Remove "Subject: " header and move its contents to your MUA's
   Subject entry field.

 * Remove "From: " header, and arrange that your MUA puts the same
   "Sanchit Jindal <[email-masked]> on the From header.  If
   your MUA is not cooperating, you can leave that line in the body
   of the message

 * Your cut&paste does not corrupt whitespaces, like squashing two
   consecutive spaces into one, removing the leading whitespaces,
   turning a tab into a run of spaces, folding a line at a
   whitespace in the middle of the message, etc.

 * Your MUA does not turn your text message into HTML gunk.

As long as you do the above carefully, you should be OK.  "git
format-patch --help" has a section on MUA specific hints, which also
might be helpful.

Thanks.