Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] doc: revert: add discussion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 10:05:12 -0700

Linus Arver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> while thinking about what to write, i came up with an idea for another
>> improvement: with (implicit) --edit, the template message would end up
>> being:
>>
>>  This reverts commit <sha1>,
>>  because <PUT REASON HERE>.
>
> This sounds great to me.

Oh, absolutely.  I rarely do a revert myself (other than reverting a
premature merge out of 'next'), but giving a better instruction in
the commit log editor buffer as template is a very good idea.

> Nit: the "doc: revert: add discussion" subject line should probably be more
> like "revert doc: suggest adding the 'why' behind reverts".

Good suggestion.

> The word "latest" here sounds odd. Ditto for "get creative". How about
> the following rewording?
>
>     While git creates a basic commit message automatically, it is
>     _strongly_ recommended to explain why the original commit is being
>     reverted. In addition, repeatedly reverting the same commit will
>     result in increasingly unwieldy subject lines, for example 'Reapply
>     "Reapply "<original subject>""'. Please consider rewording such
>     subject lines to reflect the reason why the original commit is being
>     reapplied again.

Sounds better, but let me read the remaining discussion first ;-)

Thanks.