Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] diff: fix interaction between the "-s" option and other options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 18:22:53 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Let's fix the interactions of these bits to first make "-s" work as
>> intended.
>
> Is it though?

Yes.

If the proposed log message says "as intended", the author thinks it
is.  Throwing a rhetorical question and stopping at that is not
useful; you'd need to explain yourself if you think differently.
Unless the only effect you want is to be argumentative and annoy
others, that is.

I've dug the history and as I explained elsewhere in the earlier
discussion, I know that the "--no-patch" originally was added as a
synonym for "-s" that makes the output from the diff machinery
silent---I have a good reason to believe that it is making "-s" and
"--no-patch" both work as intended.

I would not say that we should *not* move further with a follow up
topic, but I think we should consider doing so only after the dust
settles from this round.