Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] revision: support tracking uninteresting commits

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:22:25 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> The boundary-based bitmap walk will want to know which commits were
> marked UNINTERESTING in the walk used to discover the boundary.
>
> Track which commits are marked as such during list limitation as well as
> the topo walk step, though the latter is not used.

There are many more places, other than these two that are touched by
this patch, where a commit is marked with the UNINTERESTING bit
(e.g.  mark_parents_uninteresting(), process_parents()) and it is
not quite clear if the commits smudged with the UNINTERESTING bit in
these other places are eventually seen by these two places that
somebody else smudged them and get collected.

Or am I wrong to understand that the idea is to collect all
UNINTERESTING commits?

Also don't these two places see the same commit more than once, say
when traversing from two branch tips with UNINTERESTING bit set and
the traversals meet at the fork point of these two branches?  Would
such a commit get added to the array in duplicates?

Thanks.