Subject: Re: [PATCH] archive: add --mtime

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:23:48 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> My biggest concern with the patch I showed is that it gives no escape
> hatch if people don't like the change.

Yeah.

> Like I said earlier, I don't
> think anybody has grounds to complain about the byte-for-byte output
> hash changing, as it would be changing once per second. But they may
> complain about the cosmetic problem.

Yeah, they may complain "it no longer is possible when I took the
archive out of a tree".  To be honest, I didn't think of that line
of complaints before.

> The more obvious one at the Git level is to have
> "--current-mtime" or something to get the old behavior. But at that
> point, you may as well support "--mtime=now", which is the same amount
> of work, and much more flexible.

Yup.  Let's merge it down to 'next' then.

Thanks.